Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Back in the Saddle Again

I'm So Glad That's Over
Yesterday Alex and I had the stomach flu. I think there should be a law against both parents being sick at the same time (or when one parent is sick when the other is out of town). While we were laying in bed with aches all over and frequent trips to the bathroom, the kids were running around the house with the opposite amount of energy. And as I've read recently on another blog the outcome really could have been a lot worse. The only two mishaps were gum in the hair and the indoor/outdoor carpet being ripped up off the balcony resulting in black grit everywhere. Surprisingly it took less hairwashings to get the gum out of Emma's hair than it did to get the grit out of Brooke's hair. I'm still trying to figure out how to clean up the balcony without getting black water all over the neighbor's balcony downstairs, but that's a job for another day. Thankfully, however, we are back in the saddle today and somehow my energy has come back full force. It's only 10 and the entire house has been put back in place and vacuumed. A feat that doesn't often happen on a normal day. Now the laundry baskets are full and ready to be washed. Not sure if that will get done today.
While laying in bed yesterday not wanting to get up and deal with the kids, my husband reminded me that these difficult moments are opportunities to obey. I can either grumble and complain or I can choose to believe God's grace is sufficient and with a thankful heart go to the duties that the Lord has put before me. I wish I could say I always chose the grace, but bits of grumbling still surfaced. But thankfully I have the promise of 1 John. If I confess He is faithful to forgive. I know these trials (aka flu) are all apart of His purpose to mold me into his image, but I must confess that during the trial it is really hard to value being made in His image when all I want is to feel better. That battle of flesh is so hard. Thankfully my Lord is so very patient. And hopefully during the next trial I will be able to be thankful during instead of just after.

2 comments:

Naomi Haverland said...

What a freakishly amazing attitude to have.

Holly said...

yea, but I am so glad you have it.
if a flu can rub off over blog land maybe attitudes can too?
I am going to rub and rub and rub until this is my heart too (or just decide to - really, thanks for writting that and being open to your husbands words - it has changed my day)